Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Progress in Our Dining Room

I make myself crazy watching HGTV shows because I am constantly thinking about how I can utilize their ideas in our house.  I like so many styles, so it's hard to decide what fits best in our house.  I think our style would be somewhere in between modern and traditional.

The room in our house that Greg and I decided was completely mine was the Dining Room.  I didn't have to have his approval for any design concepts, colors or decorations; however, Greg has been a great supporter of the process and has been a huge help accomplishing our projects.  The concept for this room is modern, yet comfortable, chic, and fun.
I've done my best taking some before and after photos.  I was able to take a picture of the original decorations of the previous owner, which one can tell from the picture was very traditional.

Our dining room table is the first and only piece of furniture that Greg and I spent a considerable amount on money on.  We also bought a China cabinet for the room off of Craigslist that we wanted to refinish and update the hardware to make it fit in the room and match our table better. 
I typically see gray's in modern rooms on HGTV, and I typically like gray's that have a hint of purple in them.  I took a bunch of gray paint swatches with me to JoAnn Fabrics in order to choose a bold fabric that I liked that I had planned on wrapping around canvases and hanging on the wall.  I found a girly fabric that Greg liked as well, and this is what I have based the room around.

We finally found a mirror to hang on the wall, and it makes a huge statement.  We orignally weren't planning on having a mirror, but we both are happy with the outcome.  Anyway, up next is finishing the China cabinet, choosing fabric for the curtains, and decorating.  We will post again when it is completed!


1 comment:

  1. It all looks great so far! It takes skill to pull together so many different things separately and make them all work together. You clearly have the knack for decorating!

    I might have to hire you as a consultant when I get tired of my decor...or move. :-)

    ReplyDelete