Monday, February 20, 2012

Stinky Abby

I let Abby out this morning around 5:45 AM, and she sprinted across the yard barking for the intruder to leave.  I was afraid to look outside, but I knew I had to get my dog back inside before the neighbors complained about her ferorcious barks.  As I peered out the door calling her name, I saw some creature slowly moving through my neighbors aluminum fence and traveling through his yard.  Abby finally came inside, and I fed her breakfast.

I continued to pour myself a bowl of cereal where I smelled as if something was burning.  I checked the oven and it was off.  I smelled the sink, and nothing was coming from there.  I convinced myself I was crazy, and I went into the Living Room to watch the news.  Abby finished her breakfast, came in the Living Room and started rolling on the carpet as usual; however, today she rolled more than usual.  Then, she rolled all over her bed, which she doesn't use too often, so then I knew something was up.

She continued towards me and I grabbed her head and smelled the source of the stinkiness in our house.  I called up to Greg, "Greg, I think Abby may have been sprayed by a skunk," and his response, "Yeah, I can smell it all the way up here in our room."  He was already researching skunks on his phone and said it is the oils from their spray that are extremely hard to get rid of, and only special shampoo gets it off a dog's fur.

I immediately bathed Abby, and soaped up her head really good.  I wish I would have gotten a picture of this because she looked so cute.  We didn't allow Abby in our room while we were gone at work, and she was left to her dog pillow, where I know she is holding a grudge towards me for treating her like a dog and not a member of our family who deserves better than a pillow on the ground that one actually calls a bed.  I wasn't fooling Abby...


The house still stinks when you leave and then come back in.  Chase hestitates walking in the Living Room and smells the areas on the carpet with extreme care wondering what has caused such the bad smell.  I think he also understands that Abby is the one spreading it through the house because he doesn't want to play with her tonight.  I told Greg that we are going to have to get our carpets cleaned sooner than we had planned, so don't worry, we will take care of it before anyone visits again.

No comments:

Post a Comment