Saturday, February 23, 2013

Dining Room Completion

The dining room was the first room in our house that Greg and I decided to decorate.  I think it’s the room in our house that expresses my decorating style the most.  I wanted this room to be completely mine, and Greg was on board with that.  There is a previous post that mentions the table that we bought, the gigantic mirror that was a find at Hobby Lobby, and the China cabinet that we redid that took us almost 8 months to complete.

We picked a color for the walls that matches close to the details on our China dishes.  It’s a grey color, but I think it has a hint of purple in it.  I tried to do the horizontal stripes on the wall where the colors are the same, but one of the paint types is eggshell and the other is a semi-gloss.  It’s hardly noticeable, which makes me a little upset since we spent so much time on it.  I probably should have done one type in flat and the other in a high gloss for more of a contrast.  I just hear that flat paint is hard to clean if it gets dirt or scratches on it, so that’s why I stuck with the eggshell finish.
I searched for curtains forever and could not find any that I liked.  I finally found a fabric at JoAnn’s that I fell in love with.  Later I found out that this same Waverly pattern is sold at Lowes, but it wouldn’t have been the length that I needed.  I had in mind that these curtains would have grommets at the top, but I should have done the research first because grommets are a lot more difficult than I thought and require tools that I didn’t have.  So, I simply sewed a sleeve at the top and called it good. 
I was given a platter that has all the colors in the room.  It looks great displayed on top of the China cabinet with the other miscellaneous vases.  One item that I kept trying to find was a vase to set on the table with a flower arrangement.  I finally found one that would work.  It only took about 5 weeks of visits to Hobby Lobby to see what they received in their shipment that week.  I bought the flowers from Michaels to do the arrangement.  I love the way it turned out and how it brings all the colors of the room together.  I pass the room and the flowers always catch my eyes.  They add such a soft touch to the room.

The room is completed for now aside from a small project to add an ornamental medallion to the ceiling around the light fixture.  I have the medallion and the spray paint, I just have to find some time to complete it.  We usually use the dining room to play games since it has the most seating in the house.  I would love to have a nice dinner sometime and use our China.

No comments:

Post a Comment