Friday, February 15, 2013

Half Bath Renovation


Do you ever feel like you have planned out a room in your house, yet it never feels like that room ever gets completely renovated?  Maybe that’s why Greg asks me to have a plan in mind before we get started because I never have all the details worked out.  It’s typically the accessories that I have trouble with, like finding the perfect vase or choosing items to display on a shelf, and those are the items that I consider the most important because they bring the room together and give it that sense of comfort.  I have planned many rooms on this blog, like the half bath, the dining room and the guest bedroom, but I have never followed up on the completed project because I am still looking for more items to give those rooms the finished look that I had in my mind.  However, for the sake of the blog, I will share my progress.

So, if you remember our half bath, we started the renovation by demoing out the soffit and can light and replacing it with a wall mounted fixture to provide lots of light.  This was the first ceiling in the house where we scraped the popcorn ceiling.  Overall, the process was pretty easy, but I wouldn’t recommend it if you aren’t planning on painting your walls.  The process of protecting them and masking everything off was quite the chore, so I gave that up half way through, and just had to wipe down the walls a bit before I started painting.  I think the room needs crown molding to make that line between the ceiling and the walls nice and neat, but that will have to be done in the future. 
I absolutely love the neutral color in the bathroom.  My parents had this color in their bathroom in the basement.  It is a color from Sherwin Williams, I believe, called Living Stone that Home Depot matched.  It’s kind of a cream, gray and brown color, but a lot more neutral than the light brown color that was in there before.
It took me a while to fall in love with the turquoise, but it is a fun color.  The color that I had in mind was a little more muted and not as bright, but it matches the color in the pictures on the wall, so it turned out well.  There needs to be a floating shelf on that wall to break up the color some.
The pictures on the wall were from Home Goods, and I found the rug a couple weeks ago from there, but I’m afraid it’s not going to hold up.  I think the wall with the door is missing something as well.  The previous owners had a small cabinet along this wall, but we haven’t found a piece of furniture that we would like for this space.  I think once we put something there and set some accessories on it, that will fill the space on the empty wall.  I also want to create a wood frame around the mirror.
So, as you can tell, I’m not completely satisfied with just the new light fixture and paint on the walls.  The bathroom seems unfinished to me, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction.  Now it’s just a couple weekend projects to get it to the point that I want it.  I’ve recently learned that those finishing touches with the perfect accessories can be hard.  I think going forward, I’m going to find a couple pieces that I really like or a picture and design a room around that.

Over the next week or so, check back to see the progress on the dining room and guest bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment