Saturday, February 23, 2013

Snownami

I've heard of a blizzard or snow storm before, but the weathermen on the Kansas City news stations were calling the snow event this past week a "snowmageddon" and a"snownami", somehow comparing the storm to armageddon or a tsunami.  Not sure how those were related, but needless to say it did snow quite a bit! 

I woke up around 5 AM lying in bed praying that it had started snowing outside and that I could stay home from work.  The wind was blowing pretty hard, so I was just waiting for my alarm to go off and see all the snow on the ground.  My alarm rang at 5:30 AM, and unfortunately, there was no sign of snow anywhere.  I took a shower and started getting ready for work.  I watched the news during breakfast, and they said the storm was right on top of us, so I looked outside again and noticed a couple flakes started to fall from the sky.  I went back upstairs and started blow drying my hair.  The snow really started picking up, so I said I would wait until 7 AM to leave to see if it was bad enough.  And sure enough, the streets were already covered, so I called into work and said I was staying home. 


The news said the snow fell between 2-3 inches per hour, and gosh they weren't kidding.  The pictures below were taken looking out the front door.  These were only a couple hours apart.  There was also lightning and thunder, which was awesome to see and hear while it was snowing out. 

It finally stopped around 3 PM, and Greg and I went out to start shoveling the driveway around 4 PM.  We received around 14" of snow and our street was a mess.  We only shoveled one side of the driveway because it was so much work, and Abby wanted to play, so we just couldn't resist.  She ran so hard in the snow and was so tired the rest of the night. 
The street was plowed overnight, so Greg and I had to shovel the end of the driveway again just to back up.  There were cars stranded on the streets, highways and on-ramps.  A car spun out in front of me on the way to work and hit a snow bank, and even I was sliding around.  It was a crazy scene, but I made it safely to work and the sun came out and melted the thin layer of snow on the highways for the drive home.
AND, they are calling for snow again on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment