Thursday, June 26, 2014

Decorating the Baby Room

Alright, the baby's room is finished!  What a fun project this has been to work on!  It's so different decorating a room that you don't have to live in everyday yourself.  Greg and I both love it so much, and I can't wait to hang out in there with her.  
We didn't want the room to be super girly, but I'd say it turned out pretty feminine; however, there's nothing that's permanent.  We're hoping she can grow in the room and take the decorations with her when she switches rooms after our next baby, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...
I started looking online and Pinterest for ideas on decorating.  I'm drawn to the rooms with hardwood floors and a fun area rug, but we don't have wood floors.  I'm not a huge fan of pink, but I did like the rooms with coral and oranges, and then I liked turquoise for whatever reason.  I saw a few nurseries that framed scrapbook paper, so I thought that would be easy and add color to the walls and it could be switched out from time to time. 
I looked through my scrapbook paper, and found some floral patterns that I liked, so I went with the theme of flowers and a color pattern of corals, oranges, turquoise, yellows, greens and light blue.  Well, that's almost all the colors...
I bought so many samples of gray paints before I had to involve Greg to help pick out the color.  I kept going too light for our trim color.  He picked out 2 colors that we both loved so much, so we chose one and are using the other one in the room above the garage.  The color we chose for the nursery is Glidden 6011 Wood Smoke.
We bought new furniture for our room and moved the furniture that we had in there into the baby room.  It looks so much better in this room with this paint color.  We went with a white crib to match the white shelves that Alex gave us for Christmas.  Then, we splurged on the glider and ottoman.  I'm really hoping we get a lot of use out of this chair.  It's so comfortable.
Let's talk about art projects...  I went a little overboard with the DIY for this room.  It's not that I think there is too many DIY projects, but it was more stress finishing them than I probably needed especially since they all wrapped up in the 3rd trimester.  I sewed some fabric on the curtains to give them more length, painted the frames for the scrapbook paper, made a headband/bow holder, sewed a bed skirt, painted a toy chest and sewed a cushion to go on the top, decorated letters for her name (that I cleared out of the room for the pictures), and created a felt wall flower art project to go on the wall (this one is still not done and not pictured).  Whew!  It's been a busy last 3 months here.
My favorite DIY project that I asked for some help on is the crib bumper pads that Greg's mom created.  They are so adorable and just tie all the colors of the room together in the flowers on the fabric.
I can't forget to give Greg's dad some credit as well for the toy chest.  He found this in St. Peters and stocked it with all of Greg's old toys.  It used to be primary colors, and I cleaned it up and painted it white to go with the rest of the room.  I'm happy to have the storage in the room, and Chase likes to lay on the cushion.
So, that is it!  Everyone's been asking for pictures, so I hope you like them.  I have so many other pictures from projects we've been working on throughout the house, so I will try and get more posts done over the weekend as I kick my feet up and allow this baby to have 1 more week of growth!




4 comments:

  1. Holy shit 13 days I can't believe it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see toys in the toy chest that you had as a child! I love the colors and how you decorated. I'm glad you got yourself new furniture! You did a great job on the room. Now all we need to know is HER NAME!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room looks awesome! You did a great job. Looks like Mr. Chase approves of it too. I sure hope that baby waits until I'm back in town to make her arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it - the room is beautiful! You are so creative! :)

    Jenn S.

    ReplyDelete