Sunday, January 13, 2013

Change in the New Year

Well, it came and went just like it does every year.  There is so much hype about Christmas and excitement leading up to the day where you get to visit family and open presents, and then it goes away.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy every chance I get to see our families and I got a lot of really great gifts that I'm so thankful for, but Christmas is that one holiday that is perceived to be extra special because it has the belief that it's magical, or at least that's what all the movies have made me believe; however, it just comes and goes and we are back to our daily routines.

I think that's the purpose of New Year's resolutions is that there is something that you would like to change in your life and the "new year" gives you that opportunity.  I read a lot of others' blogs prior to Christmas, and they all seemed to have a similar message on expressing gratitude throughout the holidays - the idea of being grateful for what you have been given.

But why I ask do we wait until Christmas to look back on the year's past and decide at that time that things have to change?  I tell Greg that the reason that I go to Church every weekend is so that I can do this exact thing - look back on the week's past, how I treated him or others at work whether it was good or bad, examine my thoughts and turn them into something positive rather than dwell over the negative, and then I ask that I am given another week to improve on anything that I need to and continue to do good on things that I am doing good on at the time.

I guess what I am saying is that I think regular self examination is a good thing, and it's nice that New Year's marks a time where everyone at least gives it a thought.  I do think it's beneficial to do is more often though.  I never like sharing what I'm going to try and improve on because I think it's personal and there's nothing worse than someone noticing and commenting on the fact that your not meeting your goals; however, that's why it's so easy to give up on things when you are the only one that is holding yourself accountable.

So, I'll share a few items that I'm trying to tackle in the year ahead...
  1. Wiping off the counter after a meal is prepared and wiping out the sink after it is used.  I've been going a week strong on this, and gosh does our kitchen look better.  I used to make a sandwich for lunch in the morning and bread crumbs would still be on the counter when I got home.  I finally told myself that this is not acceptable.  Also, we have a white porcelain sink in our kitchen that I would love to get rid of!  It stains so easily, and we probably only use the "Bar Tender's Helper" cleaner (which works lovely) only about once a month.  Every time we rinse out a dish, especially if it has any oil in it, a nasty stain is left.  So, I'm wiping the sink down and making sure all the food and residue is truly washed down the drain.
  2. Being more productive with my weekends.  I hate to admit that I think I've become a procrastinator.  I love doing house projects, but I push them off so much because I'm afraid to get started.  I think last year's resolution to never start a project that I can't finish in 2 weeks has backfired a bit, because I haven't done many smaller projects.  I have to remind myself that I love doing these things and even though I may be tired at the time, I will get the energy I need by starting on the project. 
  3. Blogging more regularly.  If you haven't noticed, I may finish 3 posts in a weekend and then sit dormant for 3 weeks.  I would like to post about more projects and finish the rooms that I started on last year.
So, there you have it.  A few things I am working on.  So, what are all of you working on?  Anything small that you've always wanted to accomplish? 

Happy 2013!  Make this year one to remember, one that you love, one that is you.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shayna, we should hound each other on our resolutions so we can stick to them :) I'm glad to hear that not only are you having fun in DC, but you'll be coming back with inspiration for your house. Let me know if you want to get together when you get back in town!

    ReplyDelete